Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wine Dinner - Steak/Grilled Chicken with Asparagus


Wine Steak/Grilled Chicken Dinner

For my dinner, I had asparagus, 14 oz. sirloin steak, and grilled chicken. I chose to get a steak because I had two red wines which I know pair well with dark meats such as steak. I chose grilled chicken to see how it would taste with the lighter wine. The asparagus was a nice finishing touch to eat on the side that I thought would go well with both wines.

My friends and I chose to get three different wines to eat with our meals. There was the Naked Grape Pinot Noir, Fetzer Merlot, and Edna Valley Chardonnay. The Naked Grape Pinot Noir was absolutely excellent. I thought this wine worked really well with the steak and almost made the juices from the steak ten times more enjoyable. It was easy to drink and had a very nice finish. I recommend this wine to pair with steak any day of the week. The Edna Valley Chardonnay was not that good in my opinion. It was not as good as other chardonnay's and it was a little bitter on my tongue. I did not like drinking this wine with the meal at all. Lastly, the Fetzer Merlot was decent. I thought this wine went well with the grilled chicken and steak. It wasn't as good as the Pinot Noir, but it tasted better than the chardonnay. I'd recommend the Fetzer Merlot to dark red drinkers for sure.

The Naked Grape Pinot Noir was from California, USA. It was around $9 and 100% Pinot Noir. It had a lot of cherry and red fruits flavors and I thought it was really well.
The Fetzer Merlot was from California, USA. It was around $9 and a blend of Merlot and Syrah, Petite Verdot, Carignane, Petite Syrah, and Cabernet. This wine had explosive fruity flavors and had a strong finish.
The Edna Valley Vineyards Chardonnay is from Central Coast California, USA. It is priced around $11 and it is 100% Chardonnay. This wine was half decent and had a bitter taste to it with fruity flavors.


My friends really enjoyed this meal at home with these three wines and definitely decided that the Naked Grape Pinot Noir was the best of the bunch. We also decided that the Edna Valley Chardonnay was the worst. In the above picture, my friend is eating fish, asparagus, and steak with this eclectic variety of wines. I enjoyed the meal and definitely realized that a really good wine can enhance any food experience for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment