Sunday, April 28, 2013

Wine Tasting - Fetzer Merlot

Name: Fetzer Merlot 
Variety: Indicative blend: Predominantly Merlot with Syrah, Petite Verdot, Carignane, Petite Syrah and Cabernet
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $9

Winery review: Mike Kopanski wrote, "They did everything they could to bring us an adequate, value priced wine, and we have to give them credit. It smells and tastes a little manipulated, but still is varietally correct and inoffensive. Rich magenta color. Nose of baked raspberry and oak chips. Almost too rich on the palate for a wine at this price. You get the impression of fruit, but it is not expressive, and acts like a low 80's scored wine. We drank the whole bottle, and ave no complaints about off flavors. A few less oak chips would have been preferable. Not all that bad. " (12/1/2012)  — 84

My review: I thought this wine had a very good blend of cherry and fruity flavors. This wine paired very well with the steak dish that I had and I thought it had a nice finish to it. The aroma on this wine definitely had that "oak" sense to it. I think this wine was one of the better merlots that I've had and I would recommend this wine to anyone who likes reds. 

I tasted this with grilled asparagus, grilled chicken and a sirloin steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment